Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Just call me Nero.

During hard times, one thing that people tend to let go are magazine subscriptions. They don't cost too much in general (depends on the publication), but those little bits can add up.

This time around, I'm flying in the face of conventional wisdom as far as this one goes. I've either renewed existing subscriptions for as many years as possible, or I've started up new ones. As ever, I've got my reasons.

  1. There are some phenomenal deals out there. Print media is feeling the pinch, too, just like everyone else. One of my existing subscriptions, which was already good through 2010, sent me the opportunity to renew for one year at 75% of what I'd paid for a year originally, or for two years with the second year costing only half again as much. That means the second year cost me 37.5% of what I paid originally, and I now will get the magazine thorugh 2012.
  2. Magazines can be an easy, portable read. They roll up simply, are light-weight (generally), and let's face it, reading about something that you have a passion for can take your mind off of all kinds of things, like having to wait too long somewhere, or all the awful things that are going on in the world. Think of it as a short, budget vacation.
  3. Should I fall pray to the current recession, I'll still be able to get my magazines. Right now, I am gainfully employed, and I thank God every day for that. Many people are not, and have dismal prospects for the forseeable future. Should my situation change, I would not have the expendable cash to do this, and would likely have to let a subscription go. Which would not cheer me up in the slightest. And while I could likely acquire most of these from my local public library (which is the greatest place on earth IMHO), it's just not the same as having them.
Now, a little more on that last point. These subscriptions, much as my lottery tickets or my lunch, come out of what I earmark weekly in my budget as "allowance." Which is to say, it is not taking away from anything else. I budget $XX weekly, and I can do whatever I want with it. I can give it to a homeless person, I can buy an ice cream, I can get more yarn, I can save it and consolidate multiple weeks to get something swell. But I can do anything with it. THIS is key, because you don't want to be missing that money later. It shouldn't come from savings, or rent, or anywhere else. If you don't have the allowance, don't spend it. Plain and simple.

So, with that said, I'm going to enjoy my subscriptions to all my knitting, crochet, gardening, and cooking magazines for the next little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment