Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Vagueries of Fashion

As the Neighborhood Eccentric, I get to overhear a lot of things, both literally and figuratively, that otherwise I might not be privy to. People tend to think I'm not paying attention, or think I'm not here, and so conversations go on and I get information that perhaps I should not have.

Which makes me think. (I know, always dangerous.)

And so, the question I have for you, based on these overheard snippets and without revealing the specifics of what they have been (to protect the innocent, or not so much), is this:

When did it become fashionable to be a follower? When did it become fashionable to not think, determine, and decide, but instead be told, directed, or led? When did tradition become a dirty word?

I see far too many people who take what is handed to them at face value, without considering the source (or the source's personal agenda), and certainly without looking any further. No one ever seems to check out the information that is spouted to them on the news. They just say to themselves or others, "Well, it was on the news, it must be true." Reputable sources? Hmmmm. Always take with a grain of salt, if not a whole salt mine. How to get them to be less sheep-like, less trusting?

When did critical thinking go out of fashion?

So, answer me that, dear readers. When, why, and how? Inquiring minds want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment